Aviation safety if there’s no Brexit deal?

UK Government’s advice for both EASA and UK CAA issued Licensed Aircraft Maintenance Engineers;

Licensed engineers maintaining UK registered aircraft would need to hold an appropriate licence issued by the CAA. All maintenance engineer licences issued by the CAA prior to exit day would remain valid for work on UK registered aircraft. Valid aircraft maintenance engineer licences (Part-66 licences) issued by an EASA competent authority other than the CAA prior to exit day would remain valid for maintenance on UK registered aircraft by virtue of the Withdrawal Act. Such validity is limited to up to 2 years after exit day, after which licences issued by the CAA would be required.

The EU has indicated that it would take a different approach to the UK on the recognition of engineer licences. Engineers with licences issued by the CAA should be aware that the European Commission has stated that those licences would no longer be valid in the EASA system after exit day. This means that UK-issued Part-66 licences would no longer be valid for the performance of maintenance on aircraft registered in an EASA Member State. Maintenance engineers who would likely be required to maintain such aircraft should check with their employer to ensure that they would continue to hold the relevant licences.


UK CAA Update to EU exit information – licensed engineers

We have updated the information on our microsite concerning licensed engineers in the event of a non-negotiated EU exit. To enable the CAA time to complete its part in the licence transfer process, the CAA advises that application forms for licence transfers to another EU Member State need to be submitted to the CAA by January 1, 2019.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *